Tuesday 31 December 2013

Last Day in 2013


Today is 31st December 2013, the last day of this year. I do not expect some miracle to happen on this day but just wish that tomorrow I will get the courage to continue my life. 

Actually I got a hunch that 2014 will be the starting point for me to do so many things. Recently I have interested with DSLR and began to do the research about it, the price and also its function. I'm thinking of buying one for me. I asked my friend which brand is better. I prefer Nikon. Yeah.

 For 2014, I want to travel around the world. So that’s why I want to buy a DSLR camera. I get this kind of spirit inspired by One Piece manga/anime main character, Monkey D. Luffy who set sail to the sea to find the great treasure of One Piece, which left on the last Island, Raftel by the last pirate king, Gol D. Roger. Ah, that's always a dream. Too much watching cartoon from Japan maybe. Haha.

There’s a poem wrote by Imam Shafie (150 H - 204 H/766 M - 820 M) regarding with travel. 

Like most other scholars of Islam, Imam Shafie was well-versed in Arabic linguistics and literature, for such is the requirements for one to understand the Quran and Hadis. Besides being a scholar of various religious fields, he was also a brilliant poet in his own right.

This poem states the benefit of traveling to other countries. It's not just open up our mind to a new culture but also can gain new knowledge. For example, learning new language. New friends.

Again, each bayt (verse in Arabic poetry, consisting of two sub-verses) is followed by my own inadequate translation:

ما في المقام لـذي عقـلٍ وذي أدبٍ
من راحة فـدع الأوطـان واغتـرب

سافر تجـد عوضـاً عمـن تفارقـه
وانصب فإن لذيذ العيش في النصـب

إني رأيـت وقـوف المـاء يفسـده
إن ساح طاب وإن لم يجر لم يطـب

والأسد لولا فراق الأرض ما افترست
والسهم لولا فراق القوس لم يصـب

والشمس لو وقفت في الفلك دائمـه
ًلملها الناس من عجـم ومـن عـرب

والبدر لولا أفول منه ما نظرت
إليه في كل حين عين مرتقب

والتبر كالترب ملقـي فـي أماكنـه
والعود في أرضه نوع من الحطـب

فـإن تغـرب هـذا عـز مطلـبـه
وإن تغـرب ذلـك عـز كالـذهـب


There is no rest for the one of intellect and refinement in his locality, so leave your homeland and emigrate


Travel; and you will find a replacement for that which you left, and exhaust yourself for therein is the sweetness of life


Verily I saw water become putrid in its stagnation, and become sweet when it flows.


And the lions would not be fierce if they didn’t leave their grounds, and the arrow would not strike if it didn’t leave the bow


And if the sun stayed in its place in the universe, people would have grown tired of it


And if the moon did not disappear every now and then, the anticipating eye would never spare a glance at it


And raw gold is as good as the dust that covers it, and the staff covered in dust is mere firewood.


In leaving your destiny will change, and in emigration you will become precious, like gold.



31st December 2013
1.59 pm
KLCC
Alhamdulillah - Too Phat ft Yassin





No comments:

Post a Comment